Thursday, August 8, 2013

New confidence found downtown

So last night, I went to a bar.  Alone.  I wasn't going to meet anyone, I didn't know who was going to be there- other than that it was Volunteer appreciation night for Minnesota Fringe.  As I walked in the door I ran into my old house manager and sat with a bunch of his friends.  It was pretty great- I actually got to chat and meet a bunch of people I didn't know and I wasn't that awkward about it!  Once I warmed up (and had half of my beer) they were all very easy to talk to.  It was also great to talk to a few boys who, while too old for my taste, were straight, nice, funny and again, straight.  It's unfortunate that I find that comforting, given how many great guys I meet who are gay and completely uninterested in me.
On a related note, I worked downtown yesterday and felt comfortable walking to and from my car alone.  I was super nervous about getting lost or people noticing me, but everyone is very focused on themselves so they didn't notice my bright yellow shirt wandering on Hennepin.  It was really nice, knowing after one night that I know I can handle myself alone in a large city and in a bar where I don't know anyone.  Definitely is calming me about going to Costa Rica and also about moving to a new city or reaching out in new places.  I think this is exactly what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment